Thursday, April 12, 2007

Wikipedia, Front-and-Center

If you're a regular Atlas user, you may have noticed links to "Add Wikipedia Content" in the results of certain location searches. That was our first version of Wikipedia integration with Atlas (using the Futef API).

This week we improved the integration. Instead of offering Wikipedia results to certain searches, we now have a Wikipedia search tab front-and-center on the Atlas homepage.

This means you can add any geocoded Wikipedia content to your map. Run a search, click "Map This Result", and you're done. As with local search, your search is restricted to the area you have displayed on the map -- zooming out broadens the search, zooming in narrows it.

2 comments:

Pacer Sharon said...

Rick -- I've been trying to bulk upload a test set of data using latitude and longitude. Can you advise me on the correct format?
What I've got now in my LOCATION column looks like this:
34024200,-117195370

But nothing loads. I've had success before doing bulk loads with street addresses, but the lat/long is stumping me.

Do I need to add a plus sign to the latitude? Do I need to add degrees, minutes and seconds symbols?

thanks in advance,

Sharon

Rick Burnes said...

Hi Sharon -- My guess is that you don't need the minus ("-") sign before the second number. If you still have problems after removing that, can you send me a copy of the file, and I'll see if I can figure it out. I'm rick at faneuilmedia.com
Rick